Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Balance

I feel like the challenge is going amazingly well. My eating has improved a lot and I'm already seeing changes in muscle tone. My biggest challenge right now is to find overall balance. I've put a lot more energy into eating well and getting exercise which is essential for well-being and health. It has meant that a little less energy is going into other things I love though, like making pottery, journalling, and gardening. The kids are a bit weary of seeing me at my laptop working on vitabot!

Food-wise I feel like I've taken a step back this week. After a few of my best nutrition days my stomach started acting up. I get crampy and react badly to a whole host of good foods when I'm "off". I have no idea what it is but the change in my diet triggered it and now I have to figure it out. One thing I caught myself doing is "saving" calories in case I'm hungry later in the day. What that amounts to is more eating, later in the day of course. It's not my natural rhythm and not what I want to be doing. I'm cramming in an evening snack to boost my numbers. Deep breath. Balance.

On the upside, I had an insanely fun (and tiring) weekend at a mountain bike camp. I am still a bit stiff but had a blast pushing myself in a different way. Tami worked us hard on Monday too! That was one of my more challenging sessions, which means I loved it. It hit the butt/thighs, upper body, and core while keeping the heart rate up. I was feeling the burn like crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Just was thinking about this post and wondering if perhaps the stomach acting up could be from eating more veggies than your body is used to? Raw veggies especially. If your body is not used to it, digestive wise & gas wise- it can be some time before your body gets familiar with those types of foods. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure could be veggies, I don't know! This is a familiar pattern for me but usually it's set off by too much coffee, vitamin C or stress and often too little sleep.

    It's hard to describe but it feels like somehow because I've cut a fair bit of fat I'm left with more acid. That's not scientific at all, it's a gut feeling (ha).

    Plain yogurt seems to set it off, as does too much wheat germ. Bananas are bad and often that means chicken is off the menu too (but I don't really eat it anymore anyway). I get cramps that can sometimes be immediately relieved by raisins or fruit snacks! What's up with that? I picked up some digestive enzymes to see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete