Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blueberry Bran Muffins

This isn't an officially endorsed recipe, just sharing what I have! I'll list the original recipe first, then note my changes.

Blueberry Bran Muffins

Mix dry ingredients together:
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c bran
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Add berries:
1 c blueberries or other berries if they're chopped small. Frozen is less sloppy.

Mix liquids together in separate bowl and then gently add to dry ingredients:
( no idea what happens if you stir like crazy, less fluffy?)
1 egg
3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c oil

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, makes about 12.

I often double it and freeze some since we're a family of 5 that eats through them pretty quickly.

My changes:

- replace buttermilk with 1% milk + about 1-2 tbsp vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes to "sour" before using
- replace oil with applesauce. I usually add a bit extra applesauce for moisture or do the 1/4 applesauce plus a tablespoon or 2 of oil, depends how you like them
- you could probably replace sugar with slightly less agave nectar based on what I've read (but haven't tried yet). I've made them without sugar and well, it wasn't the same for me. Maybe I could get used to it over time...
- egg can be replaced by 1tbsp ground flax seed that has been mixed with 2 tbsp warm water - let sit for a few minutes before using. It's not quite as moist but works.

2 comments: